Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Assignment 4

The Things They Carried: Text Connections
            In Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried in the chapter “Style,” O’Brien and a few of the soldiers witness a young girl dancing through the wreckage of what once was a village.  A text-to-self can be made here.  Even though the town is in ruins, and there was smoke in the air, the young girl kept dancing.  A couple of the soldiers wonder why she is dancing, but none can explain it.  I can though.  In this chapter we learn that this girl has lost her town, her home, everything she owns, and her family.  Dancing is the only thing she has left.  Dance is a way for her to escape and to pretend that things are ok.  No matter what situation I am in, dance is always there for me.  It is a way for me to escape and to forget the world.  The girl puts her hands over her ears at one point.  This symbolizes that she will not pay attention to her surroundings and will pretend not to see her dead family.  I will sometimes dance to forget; to be free.  When I dance I feel like I am in a whole other world, and that there are no worries.  I can relate to this girl, and I know that she dances for the same reasons.

2 comments:

  1. At a first glance, it is difficult to comprehend how the girl is able to be dancing at a time of such despair in her life. I believe this reflects human nature in that we want to minimize the pain and anguish in our lives, sometimes leading us to do unorthodox things. The little girl, just like yourself, use dance as a source of escape. A very good connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read your analyzation I had to read it again, because I couldn't believe that I missed something that emotional for the girl. After reading your post I thought about volleyball, that is my escape-I can only imagine the escape of dance, and this post really made me think about it. Your connection took thought, and shows you understand that she needed her space, the disconnection from the world. Very nice connection!!

    ReplyDelete